Thursday 6 October 2011

Flashbacks

I missed this year's MLA get-together face-to-face (a great experience for online friends, which I recommend).

This year, sombunall of the crew met up in Prague.



Flashing back to the Paris meet-up, here you can see/hear John Giorno talking about the death of William Burroughs (we came across it in the Beat section of the Traces du Sacré exhibition) -


I still really enjoy travelling about to be able to share a variety of experiences with friends in real time.

Text from John Giorno:

William died on August 2, 1997, Saturday at 6:30 in the afternoon from complications from a massive heart attack he'd had the day before. He was 83 years old. I was with William Burroughs when he died, and it was one of the best times I ever had with him.
Doing Tibetan Nyingma Buddhist meditation practices, I absorbed William's consciousness into my heart. It seemed as a bright white light, blinding but muted, empty. His consiousness passing through me. A gentle shooting star came in my heart and up the central channel, and out the top of my head to a pure field of great clarity and bliss. It was very powerful - William Burroughs resting in great equanimity, and the vast empty expanse of primordial wisdom mind.
I was staying in William's house, doing my meditation practices for him, trying to maintain good conditions and dissolve any obstacles that might be arising for him at that very moment in the bardo. Now, I had to do it for him.


No comments:

Post a Comment