Saturday 3 September 2011

Cryptoamnesia

OK, OK, so I can't think of something original to call this compilation blog!  I test all new titles in Google, and things like "IMHO" went long ago, and so did some of the complicated inventions I think of (but they ain't snappy and memorable).

I settled on Time Piece, because I already wrote an obscure on-line article for The Maybe Quarterly (complete with cut-up random sound track from a fellow student) with that title, but a quick search turns up some early, short movie of Jim Henson's* (1965) - which would simply be embarrassing, except for the fact that I worked with Jim on The Dark Crystal (as part of his personal crew) so that makes it a synchronous kind of a hit.

Wyrd!

I just used it because the title echoed my own initials (how trivial and egoistic can you get?)

*  Dislocation in time, time signatures, time as a philosophical concept, and slavery to time are some of the themes touched upon in this nine-minute, experimental film, which was written, directed, and produced by Jim Henson-and starred Jim Henson! Screened for the first time at the Museum of Modern Art in May of 1965, Time Piece enjoyed an eighteen-month run at one Manhattan movie theater and was nominated for an Academy Award for outstanding short subject.  
from IMDb]


A minute and a half on YouTube    (remember, this comes from 1965!)




You might need MySpace to watch this, or you can find it on iTunes (for money!)

No comments:

Post a Comment